The most common questions I have been getting since I got here, is how am I adjusting. What do I like, what don’t I like, what seems ridiculous, etc. Well, one thing that I have realized is that I am pretty darn flexible.
- There isn’t Mexican food… I got over it.
- It’s been raining a lot here…I bought an umbrella.
- Gas is expensive…I walk more and ride the bus.
- Peanut butter is expensive and not in candy or ice cream at all, I’m working on adjusting to this.
- There isn’t hot sauce (other than tabasco…gross), ok this one gives me issues.
There are a few things that have been an adjustment and I thought I would share them with you all. None of these things are bad, or wrong, they are just different. In fact, I kind of like some of them, but nonetheless there is an adjustment for sure.
- I’ve have woken up to the sound of cows mooing on more than one occasion. This is not a Germany thing, but this city boy is not used to that at all. No roosters, but definitely cows.
- Apparently the number one is written differently in Europe than in the US (with a tick from the top down to the left).
- 1 Euro 25 is written 1,25 not 1.25 like we would do.
- The date is written day/month/year.
- Most stores are closed on Sundays (I like this one, but I have to remember to grocery shop on Saturday so I can eat on Sunday!)
- Water isn’t free and there are no free refills in restaurants. Both of these almost blew my mind! Ok, I knew them before, but it still boggles my mind.
Anyway, the adjustment continues on this side of the pond (no I don’t really say that), but I am enjoying it and can’t wait to discover new things that are different!