A while back I read an article about some German words that cannot be defined (the article then went on to define them), so I thought I would share them and briefly explain each one.
- Das Fingerspitzengefühl – literally translated fingertip feeling – essentially means, one who has empathy
- Die Kehrwoche – sweeping week – It’s a time where renters have duties to clean their communal living spaces in the apartment.
- Die Schnapsidee – (this is especially interesting) liquor idea – This is when you come up with a great idea…after a few too many drinks.
- Die Waldeinsamkeit – forest loneliness – It’s the feeling you get when you are all alone in a forest (I have no idea).
- Torschlusspanik – door closing panic – when all of your friends get married and have kids and you grab the closest person, and marry them yourself, no matter how bad the match.
- Bausparer – building society saver – having a job to pay the bills, but also taking pride in your ability to save money at the same time.
- Geborgenheit – being secure – It’s the feeling of being comfortable, cozy, safe and warm all at the same time.
- Dornröschenschlaf – sleeping beauty sleep – When no progress is being made on something it is in the state of sleeping beauty sleep.
- Geschmacksverirrung – aberration of taste – This word is used to describe something taste in something as, well, wrong.
- Scheinheilig – holy appearance – This is a term used for people who look lovely, but are actually the opposite.
- Backpfeifengesicht – a face badly in need of a fist
Well, that’s the German language fun for the day. I hope you enjoyed them.