Looking Back at January and February
A good friend of mine did something that often, too often probably, we don’t do. He looked me straight in the face and said, “How are your resolutions going?” Sadly, my answer was…I honestly don’t know. I couldn’t even remember what I said I wanted to do this year, so I thought, today I would take the time (and plan on doing this again every two months) to check back in and see how I’m doing. So here we go!
- Lose weight – I don’t want to specify a number because I don’t know what number to specify. I have a good amount to lose and I want to continue losing until I reach a weight where I am comfortable. Since the beginning of the year I have lost 15 lbs which is just under 2 lbs a week, so that’s pretty good!
- Run at least one triathlon and beat my previous time – I ran my first triathlon last year with my mom and brother and I really enjoyed it. There is one coming up in May not too far from me and I hope to be ready enough to beat my previous time. I haven’t registered for the May triathlon, but I have been training. 10 weeks to go!
- Pray – I pray, but not nearly as much as I desire to pray. I want my prayer life to be as vital to me as anything else and making a conscious effort to pray more is the first step. Prayer has been happening more than it used to, but I long for more and deeper prayers.
- Disciple and be discipled – Until recently I have never really had a mentor, but the last few months have been nice meeting with someone weekly to discuss life. I want to be that for someone as well, but I’m not sure where that person will come from. To be honest I forgot about this one, but God didn’t because he put one of my small group boys on my heart. We have just started to meet for breakfast weekly.
- Counseling – I am a big proponent of counseling. I think just about everyone should get counseling at some point. I started counseling again last October and I am really enjoying it. The next step is to truly take what I am learning and make an effort to institute it into my daily life. I’m still struggling with this one. I hear what my counselor is saying and I believe it, but putting it into action is difficult.
- Read more for fun – I used to read a lot and really enjoyed it. Now it seems I read for 10-15 minutes and then I get bored, fall asleep or move onto something else. I want to get back into reading for pleasure because when I do that I am in a better place. I started reading the Lord of the Rings for the first time. While I don’t read every day, I have found myself reading much more and seeking time to sit down and enjoy reading again.
- Increase my skills – Seeing as I am doing a lot of work in TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) I want to get certified to teach TEFL. Doing that will allow me to be better at creating curriculum in general, but especially for TEFL projects. I still haven’t figured out how this is going to happen.
- Communicate consistently, clearly and more often- That says it all, I wouldn’t be here without my ministry partners, so I need to do a better job at sharing about my work here and letting them know how much they mean to me. I am communicating more and trying to be clear and consistent. Is it working?
- Love on them – I’ve got an amazing family and they deserve so much love. I could do more to remind them of how awesome they are! Working on this…I’ve got some ideas though.
- My adopted families – Over here I’ve got several families who have essentially adopted me in as a brother and an uncle. Again, I want to show them how awesome they are too! I have been able to cook a couple meals for friends and one adopted family. I also get to help with homework when I go over. I love being able to take on that role when I am there.
Overall, I am pretty happy with my progress on my resolutions, but this isn’t about me. The point of my resolutions in the first place was to become a better person. To work on the things I felt God laying on my heart. God is definitely working through others to help me become a better person/brother/son/friend and for that I am thankful!